April 8, 2009

Dressed to Impress

Being a dance lover for many years, yet quite new to the dance arena, I am competing in my first Ballroom dance competition this month. With all the excitement and the hard work comes great payoffs - looking and feeling like a million dollars, dressed in shining couture (literally) and being the center of attention for the few minutes you are on the dance floor. However, due to time constraints and wanting to be the best I can, I am competing only in the International Standard events, the infamous Waltz, Foxtrot, Tango, Quick Step and Viennese Waltz.. So I leave the 10-dance challenge till next time.

I consider ballroom dancing (at least in the competitive level) to be a luxury. The most important asset - your dancing partner. After all, the saying goes "it takes two to Tango". The more effort you put the more tuned and adjusted you will be to your dance partner. Being able to dance and dance in sync comes with great practice, but I believe the most important link to a great performance on the dance floor is the love and passion for dance. You live in the moment and you let go, it feels like you are in a different world, a world you can float in.
And then comes the dress!! The dance costume is usually of more importance to the lady than the gent. Then again, it IS the case most of the time, whether your dancing or not!! :)

I spent a lot of time looking for ballroom dresses. I considered many options such as getting a custom gown done or renting - which designer to go with, who had the most selection, creativity and unique designs. During my hunt I came across many many well-known designers in the industry, but one common theme they all had going for themselves was that NOTHING IMPRESSED ME. I believe that when you look at a dress and you go "WOW", now that is something to consider. Until then, you keep searching. After all your goal is to get the best value for the money you will be spending. Of course, price is a big factor in choosing a dress. Since this was my first time competing, I wanted to stick to a lower budget. After all it is not only the dress that matters, what about the accessories and the jewelry and the million other things that must all come together to look professional on the dance floor?

In the midst of all the searching (and bookmarking of designer websites!!), re-visiting them over and over, I came across one ballroom dress designer that put the "WOW" factor to test. The dresses are simple yet elegant and unique. It is in one of her dresses that I would love to Waltz to "Fascination". And I would definitely do the slowest Quick Step ever to stay as long as I can on the dance floor!! :)


Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment